2019 Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at University of Cape Town | Fully Funded
The Mastercard Foundation has partnered with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of financial, academic, social and post-graduation support to awarded candidates under the scholarship titled The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town.
Until 2020, over 300 African students will be awarded full scholarships to UCT as part of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UCT provides full-cost scholarships to young Africans who are first-time undergraduate or postgraduate (honours and master’s) degree-seeking applicants. The scholarships ensure a premium educational package that will produce graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable, and whose transition into the workforce is underpinned by values of engaged citizenship and social justice.
These scholarships cover the full period of study and are renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance and participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the programme. Successful candidates will be required to commit themselves to returning to their home countries and to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
Benefits of Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town.
- Comprehensive financial assistance with visa applications, travel, tuition, living expenses, medical aid and accommodation.
- A relevant and recognised education through academic curricula aimed at producing graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable.
- Academic and peer mentor support – to ensure that each Scholar successfully progresses academically.
- An array of cultural and transition support and training aimed at academic and professional enrichment and assisting in the challenges facing university going students.
- Career and internship opportunities in Africa, service learning, experiential learning – career guidance and support for transition to further study or the workforce.
- Leadership development and training.
- Alumni networks for further support.
Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town Eligibility.
- The Mastercard Foundation specifically targets students from the lower economic quintiles in their countries.
- The Scholars Program is open to students from Africa and is open only to new applicants who have not yet commenced a degree programme.
- The Scholars Program is not open to African refugees living outside Africa due to the desire for Scholars to return and give back to their home communities.
- Students completing their Postgraduate diploma or doctoral study are not eligible for this Scholars Program.
- The Program is not intended for work permit holders due to the desire for Scholars to return and give back to their home communities
Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town Election Criteria.
- Academically talented – value learning and are driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged – facing significant financial barriers to completing their education.
- Committed to giving back – investing in their communities, using the skills and knowledge that they have acquired.
- Future leaders – committed to embracing ethical leadership and making a positive change in their home communities.
How to Apply for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town.
Applicants must have applied to and been accepted for a course of study at UCT before they apply for the Scholars Program. If you fulfil the eligibility requirements please follow the process below to apply:
- Review the study options and admissions requirements at UCT and decide which faculty and degree programme you wish to apply to.
- Obtain proof of English language proficiency (see How to Apply for further instructions).
- Write the National Benchmark Tests (for applicants from South Africa, or if you are an applicant from any country and intent to the Faculty of Health Sciences).
- Collate the necessary documentation to support your application, including evaluation of any previous university level qualification by the South African Qualifications Authority, additional portfolio requirements for degrees in Fine Art or Architecture, and matriculation exemption documentation.
- Apply online to UCT.
Apply Before: 30th June, 2019.